Skip to main content

The Namesake

The first few minutes of the movie reminded me of my own initial days of apprehension in a strange new country. When Tabu (Aashima) was trying to fit into Irfan Khan's (Ashok Ganguly) shoes I was trying to fit into hers. Only, I wasn't born a Bengali let alone draped in those beautiful Kolkatta saris that Tabu wore.The highlight of the movie is Mira Nair's subtlety in portraying the emotions, the acting experience of Tabu and Irfan that overshadows that of the protogonist Kal Penn (Gogol / Nikhil Ganguly).The only other actor worth mentioning her performance was by Zuleikha Robinson (the one who played Gogol's wife, the very western and of Indian origin Moushmi). Sahira Nair as Sonia Ganguly (Gogol's sister) is ok.

I haven't understood anything of Jhumpa Lahiri's literary style till date but am reasonably exposed to her credentials. However, since I haven't read the book in this case I cannot judge the movie vis a vis its book What I do like about the story is that it revolves around the Russian author, Nikolai Gogol's book "The Overcoat". For me it translates as a delightful introduction to a literary piece!

To give Mira her credit this movie has a very nice build up, somewhat pales with the exit of Irfan and fades away into a mainstream cinema in the end. It's sad to draw parallels to 'American Desi' (a cute but average flick) but all in all this is movie too is about ABCDs (American Born Confused Desis). The Columbia University professor slipped somewhere while making this one!

The outcome of this movie? Well I 'googled' a lot about Nikolai Gogol and his 'The Overcoat", Mira Nair, Jhumpa and Kal Penn. So much for updating my movie aptitude. And....thus chugs my little train of thought like the way Gogol Ganguly travels to India.

Other takeaways: The paintings shown (Aashima's father is a painter), portrayal of Irfan's gentleness as a patriarch, Tabu's bengali/Indian accented English, Gogol (Kal Penn)'s remorse shown during his father's death, Taj Mahal.


Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The old man and three telescopes

Watching milk white fog Painted across the hills Tried to find a bridge Crossing a needy heart   Squinted eyes hurt In search of water Gushing down far away Like tears of forlorn soldier   The kind Sun stepped Bore the misty clouds Quenching his thirst He smiled upon the old man   Diamonds drifted Like near heavens Of a love spectrum Bowing to ‘Pa   His three telescopes Were no companions Two were dead sons But this one fed him

Music, A candy to an ailing heart

It was the early 90s. Life was just taking a turn as was India. One day it was the magic of Eddie Murphy, Tyra Banks and Michael Jackson. Magic Johnson hits the big drum and declares in a booming voice. It was a time to remember alright.. On a Sunday it was suddenly Eric Clapton who brought 'Tears in Heaven'. Was it Tears for Fears who said 'Everybody wants to rule the world?'. DesRee and Terence Trent Darby with the silken 'Delicate', 24 by 7 taking to you a fast paced 'Take me away", Bon Jovi keeping the faith, Guns N' Roses welcoming you to the jungle with Axl Rose's sexy hairdo in 'Yesterday'. It was then the beginning of the end for Kurt Cobain. Just as I was getting so hooked to the Seattle band he put a bullet through his head. Quick. I wrote an ode to the man. So did a few more million fans. India had stepped into liberalisation. Narasimha Rao and Manmohan Singh had 'freed' India from License Raj Economy. The youth were ...

Where does it all begin?

The past few months have been awakening. Contextually speaking, it is a new life in the land of maple trees. Grasping the silent lessons that this world is giving I wandered into the neural pathways of the unapproving lot. Barbarism is not about ruthlessly hacking someone. It is a facade behind the civic screen. A kindness that kills you because you have surpassed a certain level of accomplishment. The ravines in your backyard are pacific to your evening strolls. It is the same place that breeds human beings who rob a woman of her valuable possessions. Mindful of the fact that I am a "Visible Minority" I sometimes step backwards. Something I am not used to. Yet I unlearn. The earth is divided by imaginary lines called longitudes and latitudes. I wish it would have ended there. Sadly there are so many of these imaginary lines in our minds that we know not what we are prejudiced against. The rise and fall of religions, empires, classes...is all part of the change that ...